1. Despite your best efforts, people are going to be hurt when it’s time for them to be hurt.
2. Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time.
3. No matter what they wish for, no matter how far they go, people can never be anything but themselves. That’s all.
4. What makes us the most normal, is knowing that we’re not normal.
5. What we seek is some kind of compensation for what we put up with.
6. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.
7. If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
8. Memories warm you up from the inside. But they also tear you apart.
9. Whatever it is you’re seeking won’t come in the form you’re expecting.
10. Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
11. That’s how stories happen — with a turning point, an unexpected twist. There’s only one kind of happiness, but misfortune comes in all shapes and sizes. It’s like Tolstoy said. Happiness is an allegory, unhappiness a story.
12. Silence, I discover, is something you can actually hear.
13. Unfortunately, the clock is ticking, the hours are going by. The past increases, the future recedes. Possibilities decreasing, regrets mounting.
14. Listen up – there’s no war that will end all wars.
15. If you can love someone with your whole heart, even one person, then there’s salvation in life. Even if you can’t get together with that person.
16. A gentleman is someone who does not what he wants to do, but what he should do.
17. Sometimes I get real lonely sleeping with you.
18. If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.
19. Even chance meetings are the result of karma… Things in life are fated by our previous lives. That even in the smallest events there’s no such thing as coincidence.
20. Each person feels pain in his own way, each has his own scars.
21. She’s letting out her feelings. The scary thing is not being able to do that. When your feelings build up and harden and die inside, then you’re in big trouble.
22. There are ways of dying that don’t end in funerals. Types of death you can’t smell.
23. As we go through life we gradually discover who we are, but the more we discover, the more we lose ourselves.
24. Most people are not looking for provable truths. As you said, truth is often accompanied by intense pain, and almost no one is looking for painful truths. What people need is beautiful, comforting stories that make them feel as if their lives have some meaning. Which is where religion comes from.
25. The light of morning decomposes everything.